- Is the school run a race against time? Are bedtimes a nightmare? Is the dinner table a battle ground? Are you finding it hard to relate to your teen? Do you sometimes give in, to get on? Do you find yourself reacting, rather than responding?
- Quality time with your family can often be taken over by tantrums and misunderstandings; and you may find yourself shouting, nagging, giving in, giving up or forcing obedience. These may be solutions that work in the short term; and they often breed resentment, rarely achieve the desired result and come at a cost to the relationship between you and your child. There is another way.
- Practical Parenting Skills offers an option where the underlying belief is that parent and child deserve respect and understanding in the relationship. Each has valid needs that can be met by the other; and each can grow alongside the other whilst maintaining their separateness. To achieve this you need to use a very specific set of communications skills, developed by Dr Thomas Gordon (Parent Effectiveness Training) and rooted in the work of Dr Carl Rogers (Person Centred Approach).
- These are evidence-based skills for win/win outcomes, so your family can be different people, together.
- Click here for some reasons why parents/carers choose us.
To increase your Practical Parenting Skills, please consider one, or a combination, of the following options:
Parenting Effectiveness Training – 24 hrs
Join our Parenting Effectiveness Training (PET) Course, 8 sessions x 3 hrs, which takes you through Thomas Gordon’s Behaviour Window ™, the full set of communication and conflict-resolution skills and all the principles that underpin the PET approach. This course is accredited by Gordon Training International and carries a Certificate, which can be used as part of your Continuing Professional Development; and will be a valuable addition to any CV that focusses on working with children.
- 8 x Tuesday evenings (18.00-21.00), starting 19 September
- 19, 26 Sept; 3, 10, 31 Oct; 7, 14, 21 Nov
- 8 x Friday mornings (09.30-12.30), starting 22 September
- 22, 29 Sept; 6, 13 Oct; 3, 10, 17, 24 Nov
- £199, to include workbook. £60 Deposit and £139 Balance (instalments are available, on request). Book here.
Ask your school if you have difficulty paying, there may be funding.
Relationship and Problem Prevention Skills Workshop – 3hrs
This is the first session of the full Parent Effectiveness Training course, so you can check whether the approach is right for you. If you decide to progress towards the Parent Effectiveness Training programme, this cost will be subtracted from the total cost.
- Tuesday, 19 September or Wednesday 18 October (18.00-21.00)
- Friday, 22 September or Friday, 8 December (09.30-12.30)
- £25 (to be taken off, if you progress to PET 24hr course) Book here.
Parenting Clinics – 3hrs
Graduates of the PET programme can attend Parenting ‘Clinics’, where they can refresh their skills through exploring new or recurring problems/situations that they are experiencing in the family home, with peer and tutor support. Clinics will take place on the first Wednesday of every month and numbers will be limited to 6 people. There will be alternate morning and evening sessions.
- Wednesdays, 4 October; 6 December (18.00-21.00)
- Wednesday, 1 November (09.30-12.30)
- £30 Book here.
1:1 or with couples, Parenting Coaching can give you the option to work on your family issues in a fully confidential setting. You can do this in person, or through Skype.
Dates/Times: On demand
Cost: £40 ph (3 sessions = £90) Book here.
- Norwich, NR2
- We can provide Parent Effectiveness Training at your School/Organisation (min 10, max 16), if you would like this please click here.
Your group will be facilitated by Andrea Rippon. Her academic background is in the Person Centred Approach and she has supplemented this with qualifications in Parent Effectiveness Training, Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), Mindfulness, Emotional Intelligence, Appreciative Inquiry and Action Learning. She will be encouraging you to continue supporting each other, after working with her, through our Facebook page. This will provide you with a valuable ongoing resource, if you choose to take it.
Please check out our Facebook Page for reviews (and ‘like’ us while you’re there, for interesting articles/dates of future Workshops, etc). Below are some extracts from our Course Evaluation forms:
This course is the best present you could ever buy for your children. I feel confident that it will keep on giving and never devalue. By taking this course I have profoundly changed the way I parent and I cannot recommend it enough. (LW, Hoveton)
I am more confident in my parenting skills and I have started to express my needs. I don’t raise my voice anymore. I pause and put myself in my daughter’s shoes. She is more calm and she’s less angry. (AC, Norwich)
Because the focus is on meeting needs, it really makes sense. I will be using this approach with my child and in all other areas of my life. My Active Listening is improving and Method III is helping us sort out any conflicts. (SA, Postwick)
Amazing! Helpful and insightful. I feel like there are answers to so many problems I was stuck on. The course was so supportive and inclusive. Very honest and clear support, with excellent teaching. I need lots more practice with my I messages – it can be hard to get the right words. I am actively engaged in the process because there have been very positive results. I’m going to use your Parenting Clinics to keep me motivated. (LM, Norwich)
The biggest thing I will take from the course is that my child is not naughty. He doesn’t need punishing or controlling – he needs empathy and understanding. The course has given me a deeper understanding of why my child behaves in certain ways. I hope the reduction in anger I now feel will help me deal with confrontation more effectively. (ST, Norwich)
I have learnt so much, not just about being a parent, but about who I am as a person too. I am aware I need to work more on I messages by doing a bit of work on myself (self care, self development) so that I can become more assertive and aware of my own needs. I found Active Listening and MIII conflict resolution to be really effective and my children have responded positively to both. The children seem more willing to talk about their feelings and to listen to me more about how I’m feeling. My husband is willing to take on board the skills I’ve learnt too. Andrea’s way of teaching is very effective. She is clearly passionate about the skills; is very clear, open and honest; and is very accepting of us as indivdiuals. (SB, Norwich)
I have learnt and tried out a lot of different words and put things into practice. This is a great course and I have felt it will benefit me in the long run. I am using MIII and I messages more now and I’m attempting Active Listening, but that is quite new to me. (JP, Norwich)